Sunday, February 19, 2017

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

Every time I speak at a writer's conference, I teach my students how to submit their work to an agent or publisher. I have a list of DOs, and a list of DONTs. Many of them think it's unfair that I might reject those who don't conform to the prescribed process. After all, the book might be good, and a less-legalistic (and presumably more virtous) agent might snap it up and I will miss out on a great opportunity.

Sure, that could happen. But I still need to follow a screening process, and I can't help everyone.
.
Here's a great example of what NOT to do. About once or twice a month, I get a query addressed to "Dear Agent:" And then I see hundreds of email addresses showing in the clear. Many of those students don't believe it. Well, this happened today, SIX HUNDRED FIFTY-ONE NAMES on the submission. Please, please, don't let this happen to you. Let us judge your work on the merits, and not invite a quick rejection because you were so unprofessional.


(LIST OF 651 EMAIL ADDRESSES DELETED)

2 comments: