Tuesday, December 18, 2018

OWN IT!


At around the age of eight, I learned to swim at a boys’ club in Hollywood. Then at 16, I enrolled in a course with the American Red Cross and got myself certified as a WSI (Water Safety Instructor). With this credential I could secure gainful employment as a teacher, a lifeguard, or a coach, anywhere in the country. I worked a couple of summers as a lifeguard, and I loved it. I looked forward to a long, rewarding career in or near the water. Or in the immortal words of Kenny Chesney: No shoes, no shirt, no problem.

Then I did a bit of research, and got gobsmacked with a hard dose of reality: The career path for a WSI was very uncertain. By far the majority of these jobs were both part-time and seasonal. The pay rate was lousy. Beach duty paid more, and Baywatch made it look sexy and glamorous; but the work in the hot sun was grueling. After considering all of these factors, the good and the bad, I reached a decision: The job wasn’t for me.
.
In a similar way, at various times, I imagined that I might work as a stockbroker. Or a stage manager for Broadway shows. And in each case, I counted the cost and made a decision: Given the requirements, and the all-consuming commitment, I determined that the job wasn’t for me. 

Today I work as a literary agent. About 500 writers come to me each month, asking me to help them get their book published. Would it surprise you to hear that my decisions (generally) have little to do with their writing, or their stories? 

That’s right: After 14 years in this business, I’m convinced that the world has no shortage of good stories or skilled writers. Indeed, I read dozens of (potential) bestsellers every week. What I don’t see much of, is the scribe who recognizes the necessity to treat his writing as the business that it is. Rarer still, is the writer who actually does. 

Before you start submitting your work to ANY agent or publisher, this is what we will need to see:

Humility. We can pick from hundreds of projects that come our way each month. Whereas (at best) you might have a hundred publishers – or a hundred agents – that handle your genre AND accept unsolicited submissions AND might be a good fit for you.  Accept the reality that we work in a buyer's market.

Networking. All of business (including publishing) is about relationships. Who do you know?

Education. The learning curve ahead of you is far steeper that you likely realize. How will you learn what you need to know?

Conferences. Every industry has at least one annual conference where everybody who’s anybody will be found. This is where the action is, where you can gain both the networking and education that you’ll need.

Editing. Everyone needs editing. Everyone. You are not the exception. You might have raw talent and competent beta readers, and you might have an uncle who teaches high school English. But this is the big leagues; they won’t have the professional skill that you need. Find a pro, and follow their advice.

Take a class. Build a library of reference books. Join a critique group. Find a mentor. I could go on and on. Maybe you’ve noticed, most of these things cost money. All of them will take time away from your daily life while you’re already busy with your job, household chores, errands, religion, friends, and family.

Alas, the vast majority of writers I encounter will never do these things. Instead, they complain that "the system" is stacked against them. And they blame someone else when things go wrong. Their reasons are many, but they essentially boil down to four: 

I don’t have the time. 
I don’t have the money. 
I shouldn’t have to.
It’s not fair!

But here’s the thing: Without your investment of time and money, someone else will get the opportunities that could have been yours. 

“Shoulds” avail nothing, in a land of “is.”

“Fairness” is the wrong measure, because it assumes that someone owes you something. They don’t.

Recently I suggested to a novice writer that he pick up a copy of Writer's Market ($19 on Amazon). He rejected the idea out of hand, complaining that he shouldn't have to spend money in his quest to get published. Really?

Are you destined for a career as an author? I don’t know. But whatever the case, help me help you. Count the cost now, and set yourself up for success. The market doesn’t care about you, your schedule, your budget, or your needs. She’s a fickle beast, and she hands out rewards to those who put in the work. If your book fails, it won't be because of your publisher or your agent. It will be because of you.

Every industry has a cost of entry; are you prepared to pay it? In my case, I used this process to determine that I wasn’t cut out to be a swimming coach or a Broadway producer. I was disappointed at the time, of course. But those careers required a level of commitment that I wasn’t willing to make. 

Now it’s your turn. Count the cost, make a decision, and own it.
.

9 comments:

  1. I attended a small seminar at the QH Library a few weeks ago, and one thing really stood out: you said that writing isn't a "job", it's a business. Reality shift! Thank you for your down to earth and realistic talk. And I still want to be one of those Best Selling Authors! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your great advice, Steven. I appreciate your taking the time to write it down. I hope to make a meeting with you at our next West Coast Writers Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve. Jason Park here. I have been a writer all my life, although in a sense I still came "late to the game!" Whether as a college philosophy major writing an honors thesis, or a PhD student writing a dissertation, or as a professor writing research articles and book chapters, I was always writing. The latest "variation on a theme" is as a potential book author, with its important similarities and differences.

    I appreciate your candor about the book business. It is not an easy racket, nor for the faint of heart. If I give my best effort, and it falls short, no one is to blame. The only thing that matters is that the attempt was made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought my story was great till I paid two different authors to critique it for me. One showed me the stupid mistakes I had made (especially 'show', don't 'tell') and the other pointed out some philosophical aspects that I needed to change. I think I am finally ready to submit it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, What an Excellent post. I really found this to much informative. It is what I was searching for. I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.domestic travel agents in jaipur

    ReplyDelete
  6. The subsequent step is to tune in your press settings to finish your sublimated item after you’ve sorted out your inkjet settings. Time, temperature, and pressure are the most important factors for pressing or baking an item. It’s the combination of those three parameters that allow you to get bright graphics on your substrate.
    Heat Press Time and Temperature Instructions

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete